Focus on vocabulary Mastering the academic world list by Diane Schmitt and Norbert Schmitt gives high-intermediate to advanced / gymnasium students the vocabulary skills they need to succeed in academic environments. Through excerpts from college texts and well-crafted exercises, English learners study the Academic Word List -- the most frequently used words in academic texts. Each chapter provides a series of exercises on word meaning and word families. In addition, collocations exercises develop students' ability to form natural partnerships between the target vocabulary and other words.
Level: Gymnasium students planning a course of English-language higher education
1) 24 words in each chapter are featured first in an authentic academic text, then in exercises to reinforce meaning, usage and collocations.
2) Seven units focus on areas, such as social change, consumer behavior, natural resources, and music.
3) Each chapter recycles the target vocabulary four times in reading passages and exercises.
4) Collocation exercises train how academic words are used in real contexts.
5) Strategy Practice chapters offer tips for dictionary usage and methods for expanding word knowledge.
6) Expansion sections provide additional reading, discussion, and writing activities.
FOCUS ON VOCABULARY MASTERING THE ACADEMIC WORD LIST DOWNLOAD
PART 1 PART 2